Solar Fire and Primary directions

Hi all,

have found Primary Directions just lately, and I am not expert on calculating them properly. I use Solar Fire (last version), and Morinus.

I find Morinus clumsy, as it does not have in-built World Map and basic info has to be added manually. So I use SFire more often, but now I wonder if its primary directions are realiable. How do you see this question?

Re: Solar Fire and Primary directions

I haven't actually checked the latest few updates to SF, but I was roped in in the eleventh hour when SF9 (I think) was about to be launched, and I know there were some major problems with the primary directions feature -- not necessarily miscalculation (which would be easy to fix), but rather problems with presentation which they didn't want to address because it would mean overhauling the framework SF uses for all sorts of progressive techniques. It's never a good sign when ancient techniques are squeezed into the moulds most convenient to the programmer instead of adapting the software to fit the technique.

I could try to dig out the reservations I voiced at the time, but as I said, I'm not sure if they have done anything about them by now (though I doubt it). You should try comparing the lists you get from Morinus (which is a little clumsy in the way you mention, but reliable) with those from SF. If you like, you could post them here (or in the Traditional forum) for others to look at and comment.
https://astrology.martingansten.com/

Hi again,

I think it is best first to check if I have all the options right in the Morinus.

I suppose there is some general basic schema of options, for dummies. As I said I practically know nothing of this field... so let's start from the basics.

I found help for upload images. Here is it. http://imageshack.com/a/img674/1070/WK8X9z.jpg

Any comments? Is it OK?

NB. I realized that imageschack is only temporary solution, and created account on Tumblr. Please see if you can see the same table on it: http://annusplatonicus.tumblr.com/post/102177159884

There are a number of variables in primary directions, but if you want to start out in a way that's both simple and traditional, you may want to uncheck the semisextile and the secondary motion of the Moon. You may also want to check Terms in the promissor column.

Then, under Tables/Primary directions, make sure you check only Direct. This setup will actually give you what is traditionally known as both direct and converse directions (while excluding directions formed against time, which is what almost all modern astrologers mean by 'converse').

If you want to look at the Sun as a significator, and the table shows a direction that looks like this:

Z Opposition Mars D --> Sun

then that is what is traditionally known as the Sun to the opposition of Mars by direct motion. If, on the other hand, you get one like this:

Z Sun D --> Trine Jupiter

then that would traditionally be known as the Sun to the trine of Jupiter by converse motion. In other words, if your significator is listed in the second position, it's a direct direction; if in the first position, it's a converse direction. This is a bit confusing, but the fault is not in the technique; rather, the software (like nearly all software that does primary directions, Delphic Oracle excepted) was written on the basis of untraditional presentations of directions. Still, it's free, and we're a great deal better off than the ancient and medieval astrologers who had to do it all by hand!

Well, I luckily have one print of Primary Directions made for me by expert with Morinus. I checked the list and compared it to list made by myself.

One thing I had to change: static key from Naibod to Ptolemy. Otherwise the positions are wrong. (Under: Options=> Primary Key). It may be so that the program has Naibod as assumption.

At the same time, I have started to read e-book from Amazon: http://tonylouis.wordpress.com/2013/09/ ... ns-e-book/
Beside that, I have Martin's book aside.

As I have said, though I have had long-lasting interest on the history of astrology (about 40 years), Primary directions are totally new for me. Otherwise, I have totally my own way to interpret charts. Probably I give an example on Andrei Breivik's chart, as I have time to write it down.

Otherwise, I have totally my own way to interpret charts. Probably I give an example on Andrei Breivik's chart, as I have time to write it down.
Let us see, AP :D
Reges Subjucent Legibus Stellarum

AnnusPlatonicus wrote:Hi all,

have found Primary Directions just lately, and I am not expert on calculating them properly. I use Solar Fire (last version), and Morinus.

I find Morinus clumsy, as it does not have in-built World Map and basic info has to be added manually. So I use SFire more often, but now I wonder if its primary directions are realiable. How do you see this question?
I think the Morinus calculations are most accurate and I used that program for error checking while developing PD's in Delphic Oracle. However, converse in Morinus is really what Martin Gansten would call "neo-converse". I've added a 3rd option to distinguish this difference in Delphic Oracle.
Curtis Manwaring
Zoidiasoft Technologies, LLC

I seem to remember following your instructions Margherita to set up PD's in Morinus so if anyone can explain how to do the same clearly as you in SF9 then please do so
Thanks
Matthew Goulding

AnnusPlatonicus wrote:Hi all,

This is old thread but important I think. If Morinus does not work, which program to use to find Primary Directions? SFire? Planetdance? Or which?

I'm not in a position to answer this myself (I still use traditional Morinus, which works just fine on my machine running Windows 10), but I'd be interested to know what options there are nowadays, not least on behalf of the students in my primary directions course.

Here is a suggestion: if forum members with access to various software offering primary directions would like to know whether those directions are calculated correctly (and/or would like help in setting their software up to match traditional parameters, such as those of Ptolemy, Placidus, Morin, Lilly or whoever), we might start a new thread for that. If we all input the same data, I'd be happy to check whether the directions come out as they should.

Martin Gansten wrote:I'm not in a position to answer this myself (I still use traditional Morinus, which works just fine on my machine running Windows 10), but I'd be interested to know what options there are nowadays, not least on behalf of the students in my primary directions course.

Here is a suggestion: if forum members with access to various software offering primary directions would like to know whether those directions are calculated correctly (and/or would like help in setting their software up to match traditional parameters, such as those of Ptolemy, Placidus, Morin, Lilly or whoever), we might start a new thread for that. If we all input the same data, I'd be happy to check whether the directions come out as they should.
Excellent idea, I think this is worth to do. This is very important for correct understanding.