Horary, Electional or Event Chart?

I'm hoping someone can answer my questions about the subject matter. I have read some articles but I'm still... :-?

If one has already planned starting a vacation on a certain month, day and time and then erecting a chart after the decision is made, is this chart considered an "electional" or an "event" chart. Since it is not a question of asking when to take a vacation I don't consider it to be an "horary."

Are electional and event charts read with the same considerations as an horary or are there different rules :???:

Are the faster moving planets' applying aspects considered the same as in horary, and the separating aspects meaning what has transpired previous to taking the trip?

I'm interested in seeing how the vacation will be for 5 days, so the 3rd house would be the trip (it is within 7 hours driving time), plus it is for fun, and I'm going with a friend, so would I consider the 5th and 11th houses also, and what role does the Moon play?

Any help in how to interpret would be greatly appreciated, thanks ever so much :)

Hi,

Quite a few questions here!

Firstly, if you have planned your holiday and want to know if you will have a good time, so you ask the question, will I enjoy this holiday, then the chart of the time you ask the question is an Horary chart.

An Event chart for the holiday would be taken for the time the holiday starts (you may wish to draw up a chart for the time and place when you will arrive).

If you want to choose an auspicious time to go on holiday then you would choose the chart which looks good both on its own and when compared to your own birth chart. The basic principle of election is that you wish certain planets to be 'made strong' either essentially, accidentally or both.

The purpose of an Electional chart is not to 'read' it, but to create one which reads well. In a sense the Horary is a chart for the event of a question and each moment in time contains an endless possibility of events within it. It so happens that you will have either an event or a question in mind to apply to the event or Horary chart in order to interpret it specifically. In general though, the house and planets rule the same things and the signs have the same qualities, but your application will bring into play certain aspects of what these houses and planets rule.

For example, it is highly unlikely that an individual is going to declare war on a country so that is not really something you would attribute to Mars in a Horary for an individual.

Generally in Horary a separating aspect will indicate something that has already taken place, while an applying one will show something coming up. In an electional chart an aspect will possibly contribute to the accidental strength/weakness of a planet and since you are in effect creating a 'birth' chart for the event then it is not really so much about the timing of events.

After getting the correct chart, the next most important thing in Horary is getting the significators correct - which means getting things in the correct house. You are going away for a pleasant journey, so no matter how long or how far, this is a 9th house issue. The 11th house ruler will be important as it will show how your friend enjoys it and also how you get on together. The 5th house might come into play, but that's TMI for this forum!! The Moon, if not taken up already as a primary significator (i.e. not ruler of 9th or 11th) would be another significator of the querent (i.e. you) and in addition is very good for showing the flow of events - what has just happened and what is going to happen next.

Hope this helps.
Susan,
Edinburgh.
www.horaryqueen.co.uk

Hi HoraryQueen

Thank you so much for your response, very helpful indeed :D

Could you recommend any books that deal with electional/event information, if there are any. I do have books on Horary.

Thanks again :)

Hi,

Actually, come to think of it I don't really know any books on electional. All I learned was from John Frawley in my Horary course when he gave me a kind of 10 point list of how to do it!

That's a good point though - anyone else have any recommendations?

Thanks.
Susan,
Edinburgh.
www.horaryqueen.co.uk