naomibennett9 wrote:
I just read Hamilton's post of BV Raman. Carl Payne Tobey and Raman used to correspond with each other in the 1950's about equal houses. It has been Tobey's practice to use the Asc as the Center of the house since the 1930's. So it may be Tobey as the source of this practice of BV Raman adopted after his correspondence with Tobey years ago.
What has been called India's "Equal House System" goes back centuries in India. It has been called India's oldest house system, and it may pre-date later quadrant house systems.

A while ago I compiled a list of Indian sources that mentioned this house system. The earliest reference I have is Mantreswar's Phaladeepika variously dated to the 13th or 16th century. If anyone would like a PDF copy of these references, please PM me.

Here is a quote from the source list by Rohini Ranjan (posted on the Yahoo Sidereal Astrology Forum in 2013).

"I learned Jyotish in India some 40+ years ago through books, articles and discussion with practicing Jyotishis. I do not recall any time when"Vehlow" was not used in India! Only we called it "Indian Equal House Division."

Naomi, I've found the best site for posting images is Postimage.org. If you register, posting images becomes easy. Be sure to re-size your images for forums. (I think the size is 400 x 600.)
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm