DNA and astrology

I had a DNA test last month, just for fun. As did one of my 4th cousins.

Anyway the results came back this weekend and we don't show a match. However, I do show a match to one of her 3rd cousins on the same line which she doesn't, though she does match to other of those cousins.

This is because, we don't just get the same bits of DNA from our ancestors. For example I might have 15% of my great- great grandfather's DNA and two cousins might have 15% also but one has only 1% of the same as me, whereas another has 8% overlapping.

It got me thinking about how we get our DNA and how that might relate to astrology.

Often the two are talked about as if they are separate systems and that somehow DNA is another nail in the astrology proof coffin.

I think this is because most discussions of DNA focus on similarities in families, but the reality is that it is technically ( though statistically incredibly unlikely!!! ) that two sisters could have no common DNA ( both getting 50% from each parent but the opposite 50%s). In practice of course it is somewhere in the middle and my question is:

Does the moment of birth in some way determine which pieces of DNA we get from our parents and which we don't? And is this how we are then limited by our birth-charts, because physically we manifest only elements of or ancestry dependant on the time and place of birth and those physical elements are then deterministic?

Any thoughts welcome
"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper" Eden Phillpotts

This is an interesting question.

I don't think that astrology covers everything to do with your life on the planet. Unless a natal chart comes with supplementary information, we don't even know if the person is born male or female. (xx or xy chromosomes.) We can tell where a person was born from an anonymous horoscope alone, but not whether s/he belongs to the majority culture or is an ethnic or religious minority.

Astrology has particular ways of examining and describing people, many of which refer back to past centuries, even Hellenistic times. A lot of the old descriptions of someone's physical appearance, such as Mars in the first house indicating someone with red hair, do not even seem to have acknowledged the existence of African and Asian populations where European hair and eye colours would be highly unlikely.

Astrology covers a lot, but it doesn't explain everything. Maybe it will in the future.

One thing that might interest you, is that certain planetary configurations seem to run in families. I have a fair but of family history on file, and looked up a lot of the horoscopes. Sun-Pluto contacts and Scorpio suns are fairly common. You might find this type of astrological genealogy to be worth pursuing.

Thanks waybread

I did do a bit of family pattern stuff in the days when I did more personal astrology but now I mainly do mundane/financial. So I am not likely to pursue either family patterns or DNA as research. I was just wondering if others who do do personal work had considered the matter more than I had.

Though I do seem to have a greater conviction of the extent of astrology's ability to explain (not necessarily influence) things than you suggest or indeed many other astrologers believe.
"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper" Eden Phillpotts

amelia wrote:Thanks waybread

I did do a bit of family pattern stuff in the thérapie de groupe days when I did more personal astrology but now I mainly do mundane/financial. So I am not likely to pursue either family patterns or DNA as research. I was just wondering if others who do do personal work had considered the matter more than I had.

Though I do seem to have a greater conviction of the extent of astrology's ability to explain (not necessarily influence) things than you suggest or indeed many other astrologers believe.
Hello !
I’m a new member here and I think that this site is a very good one because there are many different subjects and various tips!