Saturn in the 8th House

Fairly new to Vedic astrology. I recently heard that having Saturn in the 8th meant a horrible death. It of course of depends on sign and the 4th house which is the end of things, but I've seen a few charts that have Saturn placed in the 8th.

Is a horrible painful death really in the cards for someone with Saturn in the 8th? If so then having Saturn retrograde in the 8th must be even worse.

Does anyone know if this is so in Vedic astrology?

Dear Moonrise: Love your forum "handle" BTW.
There are so many factors to consider with Saturn in the 8th house it is irresponsible to make such a blanket delineation that just by having Shani placed in the 8th makes one have a painful death. Seeing the chart would help.

Saturn though a natural malefic can become a functional benefic for many ascending signs and this would lessen its malefic nature. Much depends on whether Saturn is exalted or in its own house. Also, aspects from other benefics/malefics and varga dignities are just a few of the things to consider to determine Saturn's strength and effects in H8.

Generally, I would say that Saturn the significator for longevity in the house of longevity often grants a long life though with may hardships in life.

Best Regards and Blessings,
A.

Thanks for insight Arvind

Thank you for the insight. When I first heard of the Saturn in the 8th meaning I became concerned. The people whose charts have this are lovely people and it would be terrible if they met with such an end.

The Leo ascendant who has Saturn retrograde in Pisces has had many struggles and hardships despite a young age.

The Saturn in Aries is such a peaceful law-abiding person I couldn't imagine a horrid end unless it was in some type of natural disaster.

The Cancer ascendant also has Ketu aspecting and Ketu and Rahu I find are always challenging. This is someone who could come to a horrid end defending someone else, but still a lovely person.

Vedic is quite complex, or it could be that since I am fairly new to it I miss certain points. Thank you for the help.

some additional thoughts...

Hi Moonrise: Here are some additional thoughts on the details you mentioned...
The Leo ascendant who has Saturn retrograde in Pisces has had many struggles and hardships despite a young age.
Seventh Lord Saturn in the eighth could indicate divorce or the death of the marriage partner, also no happiness from the marriage partner. Good life span if Jupiter, Saturn and the Sun are strong and unafflicted. Some gain from insurance and wills that may fructify in later years.
The Saturn in Aries is such a peaceful law-abiding person I couldn't imagine a horrid end unless it was in some type of natural disaster.
Saturn in Aries is generally unfortunate as Saturn is debilitated in Aries and also the brings the negative significations of the eighth house. This will affect longevity unless there are very strong benefic aspects to the ascendant, sixth house and the Sun etc. Debilitated Saturn in H8 can bring about a violent or difficult death, including chronic or long term illness. Illnesses often involve the reproductive system. No financial help from the spouse. Alimony is almost never awarded with this position.
The Cancer ascendant also has Ketu aspecting and Ketu and Rahu I find are always challenging. This is someone who could come to a horrid end defending someone else, but still a lovely person.
Yes, Rahu and Ketu are first rate malefics, even more so when they themselves afflict by conjunction or 5th, 9th or 7th aspect from one of the dusthana houses.
Is the glance from Ketu to Saturn exact? within one degree? or within five degrees? What degree is Saturn? Better to look at the chart than speculate.
Without affliction, Saturn in the 8th for a Cancer Ascendant is in its own moolatrikona house and I would not consider it weak by bad placement, unless Saturn or the bhava madhya of the eighth house is closely afflicted and/or if Saturn is in early or late degrees. Still AIS, would have to look at the chart as a whole before rendering a judgment. Life can still be difficult because Saturn as a natural malefic is aspecting the 2nd, 10th & 5th houses.
Be Well, Be Happy. Best Regards and Blessings,
A.
Jyotish Visharad