Planetdance - Astrological Freeware by Jean Cremers

Planetdance, programmed by Jean Cremers from Groningen in the Netherlands, is an excellent piece of astrological freeware for Windows. Planetdance also works exceptionally well in Linux installed through Wine. Jean is constantly developing and improving Planetdance and I recommend that astrologers try his programme. It has many unique features, including an astrological scripting language that he has developed called Astrobasic. Users can write their own scripts to complement Planetdance. Jean includes these user developed scripts in many of the regular releases and updates of his software. Planetdance has recently been updated to include the latest release of Swiss Ephemeris.

Planetdance incorporates techniques from many astrological traditions including Hellenistic, medieval, modern and esoteric. Jean includes ideas from some of the Dutch schools including approaches pioneered by Wim van Dam.

I have recently been learning Astrobasic with Jean's help. Jean and I have been working intensively on the classical/Hellenistic module within Planetdance which now incorporates many new features. The following screenshots will give you a flavour of the classical techniques that are available within Planetdance. I am continuing to develop scripts for this module, with a forthcoming release focusing on classical aspect theory such as like-engirding and equal power.

This screenshot is of the main Hellenistic window. Users can experiment with Egyptian and Ptolemaic bounds in real time by switching between the two schemes. The bounds rulership listing and the bounds wheel will automatically change as the user chooses one or other of the bounds divisions. Users can also add dodekatemoria, dwads, antiscia and contra-antiscia to the wheel during a session and then remove them as they wish. A range of lots can be added to the wheel in the same manner. The Hermetic lots are automatically calculated and displayed in the wheel. The users preferred settings will be stored for the next session.
The following image shows the dodekatemoria positions displayed on the wheel.
The main Hellenistic window can be complemented with additional modules including planetary phases, a table of dignities, dodekatemoria/dwad listings, antiscia/contra-antiscia listings, and monomoiria listings. Jean has also programmed comprehensive time lord modules for profections and zodiacal releasing.

The screenshots below will give you an idea of Planetdance's capabilities.

Planetary Phases:
Table of Dignities:
Monomoiria:
Profections (One Hundred Years):
Forthcoming Module - Aspects:
Users can display these additional modules alongside the main Hellenistic wheel.

The module includes comprehensive help and sample texts from Ptolemy and Valens can be selected through the Resources menu. These are drawn from freely availabe on-line texts such as Mark Riley's translation of Valens' Anthology.

If you have some coding knowledge you will be able to make use of Jean's Astrobasic scripting language. Comprehensive on-line help is available and Jean will answer questions if you get stuck. I don't have much coding experience, but have been able to pick up Astrobasic quite quickly. If you have some coding knowledge, I encourage you to take a look at Astrobasic and to contribute to Jean's software by programming additional modules.

Linux users should be encouraged to take a serious look at Planetdance. This is an easy installation through Wine/Playonlinux and the software works faultlessly. Jean develops with Linux and Windows in mind and tests his releases on both operating systems. I have Planetdance working on Linux Mint 18.2, XFCE, and Playonlinux Wine manager. Planetdance will also work on very modest hardware including my old Pentium 4 laptop and a Linux based netbook.

Jean also makes Planetdance for Android. He charges a small cost for this, but it is nominal, and the Android version features quite a number of the main Planetdance routines. Planetdance for Android is available through the Playstore.

Jean's website is at www.jcremers.com. Facebook users can join the Planetdance Facebook group for additional help and support.
"...the motions that are akin to the divine in us are the thoughts and revolutions of the universe."

Plato, Timaeus, 90.

Primary Directions

Hi Petr - thanks for the feedback. I'm beginning to think about a primary directions module. It will be a longer term project however. There's a few more basic modules I would like to do first. I agree primary directions would be a great addition to Planetdance.

All the best. Ed
"...the motions that are akin to the divine in us are the thoughts and revolutions of the universe."

Plato, Timaeus, 90.

Thanks for those modules Ed, they are a great contribution. This is one of the things i had in mind when making astrobasic, so people could contribute their ideas. This is a great example.

Planetdance for Windows - latest release of software

Hi there - Jean has released the latest substantial update of Planetdance for Windows, his freeware offering. The update includes minor bug fixes plus the following update modules, including some of interest to those looking into Hellenistic Astrology:

Horoscope - Classical - Ed Greek Horoscope

Now includes a menu item for user to choose Robert Schmidt's variation of Greek lots for Eros, Victory, Courage, Nemesis and Necessity. Minor change to aspect grid.

Horoscope - Classical - Classical Aspects

A new script showing classical aspect relationships from a Hellenistic perspective.
Horoscope - Classical - Profection

Now includes option to profect Sun, Moon, Fortune, Daimon (Spirit) and MC as well as Ascendant.
Horoscope - Classical - Sect Considerations

A new script showing sect conditions from a Hellenistic perspective.
Horoscope - Extra - Mercury Elemental Year

A new script to calculate the inferior and superior conjunctions of the Sun and Mercury. Calculates five conjunctions prior to birth and five following birth. Conjunctions displayed in listing and chart wheel. Sub-charts for each of the conjunctions can be calculated from the menu. Sub-charts calculated for the place of birth for original chart.
Horoscope - Extra - Lunation Mandala

A new script to display new and full moons prior to and following birth. Fourteen lunation positions are displayed in the wheel and listing formats. Each of the pre- and post-natal lunation charts can be calculated from the menu. Sub-charts calculated for the place of birth for original chart.
If you would like to try Planetdance, visit Jean's site at:

http://www.jcremers.com

Thanks for your interest. Ed

Plato, Timaeus, 90.

Planetdance Freeware - New Updates

Hi there - recent releases of Planetdance, by Jean Cremers, include classical astrology additions such as Topical Considerations and the option to have equal, whole, or Porphyry cusps in the main Greek Horoscope Module. These house systems can be dynamically changed so that the different cusps can be compared. The Hermetic Lots of Eros, Courage, Victory, Nemesis and Necessity can be switched on and off as a group, rather than displayed by default. The Planetary Phases module now includes a listing giving cazimi, combust and under Sun's beams where relevant.

Jean has also included the option to display fixed star positions in the main Planetdance wheel.

These screenshots will give you a flavour of the potential of Planetdance. Jean's site, where the software can be downloaded, is at www.jcremers.com.

Equal Houses without Lots
Porphyry Houses
Topical Considerations
Planetary Phases
Thanks for your interest in Planetdance.

Ed

Plato, Timaeus, 90.

Visually for me there is a problem with the screen shots, which isn't limited only to Planetdance. It can be visually confusing when colors are used for planets, signs and aspects. For example, seeing a red Mars next to a blue Scorpio doesn't send the "matching domicile" message. This might be only a problem for me. I've set the software I use to have only the planets in color, and keep the signs and aspects in black. But otherwise Planetdance looks like a great program.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

Colours

Hi Therese - thanks for the feedback. Planetdance is pretty customisable for colour through the options menu. Colours can be set through the Symbols/Colours menu. You can create your own colour sets as well so there is no need to go for defaults, although there is plenty of choice. I've attached a pic showing the black and white option, but there are others.
All the best. Ed

Plato, Timaeus, 90.

Hellenistic Astrology - Planetdance Update

Hi there - Jean has just released a new update of Planetdance which includes the following features in the Greek Horoscope module:

Includes option to add additional markers in bounds/decans wheels
Includes option to add hermetic lots or not, according to user's wishes
Includes option to switch between whole sign, fortune, daimon, porphyry and equal houses
Includes option to add pre-natal lunation to the wheel
Includes option to have additional lots in black or colour

The following screenshots give a flavour of the options in the Greek Module:

Daimon Houses with Pre-natal Lunation displayed:
Daimon Houses with Hermetic Lots:
Fortune Houses
The module now works in combination with the main options menu so that the colours displayed can be customised or a monochrome display can be made like the one in these images.

Plato, Timaeus, 90.