Schapelle Corby

This is about Schapelle Corby, the Australian lady
who is now incarcerated in Bali for allegedly
smuggling marijuana last year. Her case has
attracted considerable international interest, and
is currently on appeal.

Many people think that she is innocent and was
framed by baggage handlers or drug syndicates
at the airports in Australia from which she departed.

I am very new to Western astrology. Being more
inclined to Hindu numerology, all I can tell is she
chose a pretty risky day to travel (a number 8
day tends to be associated with fatalistic events).

Here's her data (including flight times, which I am
not sure is of any significance) for anyone who
might care to analyse them :

Name : Schapelle Corby
Born on July 10, 1977 at 11.53 am, Brisbane
(27 deg. 30 min. South, 153 deg, 00 min East).

Departed Brisbane Airport, Flight QF501,
at 6.00 am, October 8, 2004
(27 deg. 23 min. South, 153 deg. 7 min. East)

Arrived at Kingsford-Smith Airport, Sydney at 7.30 am.
(33 deg. 57 min. South, 151 deg. 11 min East)
Departed on Flight AO 7829, at 10.15 am

Arrested at 2.30 pm, Ngurah Rai Airport, Denpasar, Bali,
(8 deg. 45 min. South, 115 deg. 10min. East ) on October 8, 2004.

Court verdict on May 27, 2005 at 10.40 am, Denpasar, Bali.
(8 deg. 40 min. South, 115 deg. 14 mi. East)

The Schapelle Corby saga has been all over the press and the media here in NZ, it's been impossible to escape it. Many NZers have strong opinions about the case, one way or the other. Some have boycotted their holidays to Indonesia.

I am personally unsure about her innocence, however I do have a problem with Indonesian drug laws. It appears that they apply a test of strict liability to serious drug offences, then it's up to the defence to prove that the accused did NOT have guilty knowledge of the drugs in question. That seems unfair to me. here in NZ the prosecution must establish 4 or 5 elements beyond reasonable doubt in a drug possession case.

You have posted an awful lot of information, so far I have only had time to look at Corby's birth chart. What I find incredibly fascinating is her Sun right on the MC - the world's eyes are literally on her, and her individual fate is in the spot-light. That seems to be the destiny of Sun/MC people, they end up in the spotlight or with public attention on them (and not necessarily in a good way).

Just think of all the hundreds of people, including Austrralians, languishing in foreign jails around the world, some of them possibly wrongfully convicted and/or facing the death penalty...yet none have received an ounce of recognition or media attention!! Corby's Sun on the MC is surely the reason for the huge public/media attention in her case....

I can't help but notice that the sun squares pluto in the 12th House, the house of incarceration. Jupiter, interestingly, is on the cusp of the 9th House. So far this placement has not assisted her! Traditional interpretations might include "luck with foreigners and in foreign lands," "benefits through travel," "good fortune through contact with the legal system." etc etc.

Maybe her appeal will be successsful...Jupiter in the 9th should come to her assistance in some way...but so far, things do not look very good for her at all.....

Jupiter, interestingly, is on the cusp of the 9th House. So far this placement has not assisted her!
Jupiter is in Gemini, the sign of his detriment. He has little luck to bring. Jupiter is also in a mixed mutual reception with Mercury, tying together the long distance travel (Mercury rules 9) and things that happen to her that are not her fault (Jupiter rules the 6th house).

FYI, I know nothing about this case.

Tom

The Schapelle Corby saga has been all over the press and the media here in NZ, it's been impossible to escape it. Many NZers have strong opinions about the case, one way or the other. Some have boycotted their holidays to Indonesia.
You should try being in Australia. I nearly replied to this post last night but decided to wait until this morning. Who should be on the front page of the paper today but Schapelle. It seems that something has gone right for her for a change and the judge has agreed to reopen the case. This is far better than she could have hoped for. All an appeal can really do is look at the same evidence again but in this situation the judge has agreed to hear further evidence.

I have been wondering a lot about the intense media around this case. I have been quite appalled by it and by the attitude of Australians towards Indonesians. Her Sun on the MC explains a lot. Thanks for that kurgal because I hadn't seen her natal chart. The attention around this case has been extreme yet at the same time there are nine Australians, dubbed the 'Bali Nine', who were recently arrested on drug smuggling charges in Bali. They are most likely to be executed (they actually had the drugs taped to their bodies) but there is barely a mention of them in the press.

I can't help but notice that the sun squares pluto in the 12th House, the house of incarceration.
This case got me thinking about the Lindy Chamberlain case of the early 80's where she claimed a dingo took her baby. She was convicted of murder, a conviction that was eventually overturned. The media was intense in the same way but interestingly most people assumed her guilt rather than her innocence. I couldn't find Lindy's chart but found the natal chart of her daughter Kahlia who was born during her mother's prison sentence. From memory, I think she stayed with her mother in the jail until the conviction was overturned and Lindy was released. All planets are within 75 degrees, five of them in the 12th house of incarceration. A sixth planet, the Moon, is within the 12th house but less than 5 deg from the Ascendant.

The fact that the judge has agreed to reopen Schapelle Corby's case is a very lucky break, particularly only a week after appeal documents were lodged. It was expected to take months for any decision to be made. I haven't looked at any charts yet but it would be interesting to know what is going on for her astrologically at the moment. Of course, reopening the case does not mean that the outcome will be a positive one for Corby. The prosecutor, who has never lost a drug smuggling trial, will still be fighting for an upgrade to life imprisonment. Unlike Australia, where life means 25 years, life in Indonesia means just that, until you die.

Sue has beat me to it, but Today's NZ Herald states (front page by the way -where else?): "Convicted Australian drug smuggler Schapelle Corby has been thrown a surprise lifeline by the Indonesian courts today...."

Looks like that natal 9th House Jupiter might be offering his protection here, after all......(despite being in his detriment).

As Sue points out, the judges' agreement to re-open the case and hear fresh evidence is FAR more favourable than an appeal (which is always decided on very narrow grounds in a criminal case). Of course, an acquittal is far from certain, but her chances are better than they would be on an appeal.

I just read that Schapelle Corby's retrial will open on July 20th. No time in the news report but I would imagine it will be 9am, local Denpasar time, which is -7hrs GMT.